We are currently taking applications for our 27th annual Summer School Institute July 17 – August 4, 2017
Discover The Morningside Model Of Generative Instruction
Attend weeks 1 and 2
July 17 – 28, 2017
Every morning, SSI participants engage in a practicum, in which they serve as teaching assistants in one of our reading, writing or math summer school classrooms for children. They receve direction from the classroom teacher, as well as in-classroom coaching from our highly skilled SSI professional consultants. Every afternoon, participants attend workshops that teach the Morningside Model of Generative Instruction (MMGI).
MMGI workshops teach the 7 main aspects of MMGI, including
(1) Introduction to Instructional Design
(2) Initial instruction, including Direct Instruction and other methods that conform to Tom Gilbert’s Mathetics
(3) Practice to fluency with celeration, focusing on Precision Teaching
(4) Application, focusing on reinforcer sampling and establishing operations that promote real-world application of the facts, concepts, principles, skills and strategies that the teacher directly taught
(5) How to design and sequence instruction to promote generativity. Instruction in generativity teaches students how to figure out how to do something that they have not been directly taught, based upon what they have been taught. Generativity procedures include our well-known reasoning technology, Talk Aloud Problem Solving (TAPS).
(6) How and when to probe their learners for evidence of generative behavior. Generativity probes assess whether students can engage in the upcoming lessons without instruction.
(7) We also devote three afternoon workshops to the best reading, math, and writing curricula to implement with MMGI.
Attend week 3
July 31 – August 4, 2017
Participation is open to behavior analysts and other program designers, including graduate students. Everyone must attend the first two weeks in order to be eligible for participation in the third week. Participants will be coached while designing a program that meets the needs of learners back home. Each participant will present their program design to the group for feedback.
CLASSES GO ALL DAY
How much does it cost?
Attend both Week 1 and Week 2 – cost is $2500 total
Add Week 3 – cost is $3500 total
How do I get College Credit and CEUs?
For a small additional fee, receive 3 quarter-credits or 2 semester-credits per week of instruction through Portland State University. Each credit costs $60. BCBAs can obtain CEUs for attending.
How to I find housing?
Morningside has reserved a block of rooms at the new state-of-the-art university residence hall next door. To share a double-occupancy room with a private bath, the rate is approximately 30 dollars per person per night; at a higher rate, there may be a few singles available. Graduate student scholarships may cover the cost of a shared double. Please contact Alan Szech for more information about housing options.
Do I qualify for a scholarship?
4-5 slots are reserved for graduate students each year. Please submit the following: CV, 1 or more letters of recommendation from professors, and an essay on how SSI advances your professional goals. Final decisions regarding scholarship occur in early June.
How do I apply?
Download the application, complete and mail or email it. We start getting requests in September. This document is available as a .pdf file and includes a registration form. Download here.