Stay tuned for details on the 2020 Summer Institute coming soon!
Attend weeks 1 and 2
Dates TBD, 2020
Every morning, SSI participants engage in a practicum, in which they serve as teaching assistants in one of our reading, writing or math summer school classrooms for children. They receive direction from the classroom teacher, as well as in-classroom coaching from our highly skilled SSI professional consultants. Every afternoon, participants attend workshops that teach the Morningside Model of Generative Instruction (MMGI).
(1) Introduction to Instructional Design
(2) Initial instruction, including Direct Instruction and other methods that conform to Tom Gilbert’s Mathetics
(3) Practice to fluency with celeration, focusing on Precision Teaching
(4) Application, focusing on reinforcer sampling and establishing operations that promote real-world application of the facts, concepts, principles, skills and strategies that the teacher directly taught
(5) How to design and sequence instruction to promote generativity. Instruction in generativity teaches students how to figure out how to do something that they have not been directly taught, based upon what they have been taught. Generativity procedures include our well-known reasoning technology, Talk Aloud Problem Solving (TAPS).
(6) How and when to probe their learners for evidence of generative behavior. Generativity probes assess whether students can engage in the upcoming lessons without instruction.
(7) We also devote three afternoon workshops to the best reading, math, and writing curricula to implement with MMGI.
Attend week 3
Dates TBD, 2020
Participation is open to behavior analysts and other program designers, including graduate students. Everyone must attend the first two weeks in order to be eligible for participation in the third week. Participants will be coached while designing a program that meets the needs of learners back home. Each participant will present their program design to the group for feedback.
CLASSES GO ALL DAY
How much does it cost?
Attend both Week 1 and Week 2 – cost is $2800 total
Add Week 3 – cost is $3800 total
NEW! Summer School Institute participants can add a two-day follow up coaching and consulting visit from Morningside Teachers’ Academy instructors at a discounted rate of $1500/day.
How do I find housing?
Morningside Academy is fortunate to be able to provide affordable lodging at Cornish College of the Arts. Lodging is in a state-of-the-art, modern dormitory located directly next door to Morningside Academy. A limited number of reservations are available and will be given on a first come, first served basis. A number of rooms are reserved for graduate students applying for Summer School Institute scholarships.
Participants interested in this affordable lodging option are required to review the Cornish College of the Arts Information and Rules.
Contact Jen Provenzano with any questions or to find out about other housing options.
Do I qualify for a scholarship?
4-5 slots are reserved for graduate students each year. Please submit the following: CV, 1 or more letters of recommendation from professors, and an essay on how SSI advances your professional goals. Final decisions regarding scholarship occur in early June.
How do I apply?
Stay tuned! The application is coming soon…